Hiring a Travel Advisor

Hiring a human means we are available day and night- before, during, and after your trip- either through our direct phone number and email or through your access to our 24 hour travel emergency number. In the event of an emergency, a delay, or an unexpected disruption, we are here to work with the suppliers to reroute, rebook, and get you where you need to go.

A travel advisor takes the headache out of planning travel. Transportation, accommodations, detailed itineraries, and more are all handled by an expert. Simply tell us your spending limit and answer some questions about your travel goals.  We’ll do all the work for you.

As your advisor, our job is not to simply “book” travel. We are professionals with years of training and personal travel experience. We are ready to put our skills to work making your travel dreams an experience you’ll never forget. When you hire us to manage your itinerary you’ll also have access to 24/7 support should the unexpected occur. But, most importantly, we’re here to do what it takes to make travel go right in the first place.

We work within any and all realistic budgets. When your spending limit does not align with your ideal destination or experience, we will work to offer alternatives that will.

Professional fees are charged for all services. Fees are non-refundable, non-transferrable, do not apply to the cost of the travel services, are in addition to any supplier fees, and post as separate transactions processed through Travel Leaders/Leone Travel Corp.

See our agency terms and conditions for more details.

Rather than rushing through requests to close the sale, we want to create the space where we can have a relationship with you. We want to take time to understand your needs and goals. The Research Retainer is compensation for the professional time and attention we’re focusing on you.

Air Reservations

For international air only travel, KaliKosmos Travel works with several ticketing companies who offer reduced rates to travel advisors. They pass their savings on to us, and we, in turn, pass the savings on to you. These savings allow us to usually come in below online travel agencies, such as Expedia, even with our services included. Please keep in mind that the more flexible you can be with your travel dates, routings, and airlines, the better the air options will likely be.

For domestic air only travel, we often come in $50.00 more per person due to our Itinerary Management Service. However, this fee allows us access to assist with involuntary schedule changes the airlines may introduce, to help with customization such as seat assignments and special needs requests, and to be here for you during your travels for any delays or travel emergencies.

We have negotiated many different types of agreements with different airlines; thus, the rules and restrictions for exchanges vary greatly, if allowed at all. When allowed, airlines require that we collect a fee for the exchange plus any difference in fare when necessary. Contact your advisor for a quote regarding your specific reservation.

Because rules and restrictions for exchanges can vary based on the type of fare, we request that you do not try to make changes directly with the airline. Instead, please contact your advisor. Please keep in mind that the airline may restrict or deny exchanges requested. KaliKosmos Travel must comply with the rules as set by the airline.

 In most cases changes and/or exchanges may only occur during standard office hours, M-F, 8am-5pm, CST and at least 48 hours prior to departure. Please plan accordingly

Once issued, most airline tickets issued are non-refundable, and non-transferable. Name changes are not permitted. However, you may be able to exchange your tickets for different dates. Penalty fees apply and not all tickets are changeable. Contact your advisor for specific details based on your airline’s current reservation rules.

Reconfirming your flight isn’t mandatory, but we highly encourage you to do so. Airlines regularly alter their schedules or change their flight numbers. We make every attempt to contact you when there is a change; however, there are rare occasions when we are not correctly notified by the airlines that a change has occurred. Reconfirmation helps to detect a problem before you arrive at the airport. We recommend that you contact us or check with the airline directly, 24-72 hours prior to departure.

Time varies by airline and destination. It is always best to check directly with the airline. You can help avoid vacation stress by arriving at most airports 2 to 3 hours prior to scheduled departure time. Some large airports, like Chicago O’Hare, New York JFK, and Los Angeles International, require even more time. Please plan accordingly.


Yes, you may get married in selected countries in which you are not a citizen. However, there are certain requirements you must meet. Most countries have a residence requirement and the length of time varies. We are happy to coordinate a marriage ceremony and destination wedding. Let us handle the details and take that stress off your shoulders.

Depending on where you’re traveling, you may not need shots. Please refer to the CDC for up-to-date entry requirements.

Tipping amounts vary by culture and country. We like to refer to whototip.net for general tipping guidelines.


Travel documentation depends on your travel destination(s):

Do your plans involve a domestic destination?

Adults (18+) are required to show identification. Acceptable forms of ID include any state, federal, or tribal identification card, including a passport, military ID card, permanent resident card, border-crossing card, state ID card, or driver’s license. A picture ID is required.

Do your plans involve an international destination?

If you are traveling outside of the United States, all passengers are required to have a passport book that expires at least 6 months after your date of return. This is very important and includes travel to Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda, Bahamas, and Mexico. Additionally you may also need to have a visa. Please consult with CIBT for visa questions (Account number 60010).

Your passport can NOT be damaged in any way. There can be tears, bends, water damaged pages, etc. If there is the appearance of damage, your document may not be considered valid. If you think your passport could have possible damage, contact your advisor.

For more information on international travel requirements, please visit travel.state.gov.

Do your plans involve cruising domestically?

Domestic cruising is cruising that begins and ends in a U.S port (aka “closed loop cruises”), the following *WHTI- (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. If a picture I.D. is not affixed to the *WHTI- compliant document, a picture I.D. is required (a valid, unexpired government-issued photo I.D. for all guests 16 years of age or older). If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada or another country, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required. Acceptable forms of identification:

  •  Valid U.S. Passport
  •  Valid Passport Card
  •  Valid State Enhanced Driver’s License
  • Valid Certificate of U.S. Naturalization

Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S. port, aka “closed loop cruises”), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate issued by a government agency and accompanied by a government- issued photo I.D.

  • An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics.
  • Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, cruise lines will accept a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork as proof of citizenship. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.

Be aware that some ports of call on closed loop cruises may still require a passport book. Without a passport book you will not be able to disembark in these ports.

Do your plans involve a cruising internationally?

International cruising is cruising that begins or ends in a foreign port. If you are traveling outside of the United States, all passengers are required to have a passport book that expires at least 6 months after your date of return. This includes travel to Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda, Bahamas, and Mexico. Additionally you may also need to have a visa. Please consult with CIBT for visa questions (Account number 60010)

Your passport can NOT be damaged in any way. There can be tears, bends, water damaged pages, etc. If there is the appearance of damage, your document may not be considered valid. If you think your passport could have possible damage, contact your advisor.

For more information on international travel requirements, please visit travel.state.gov.

A valid passport is one that expires 6 months from your date of return. If you do not have a passport, or if your current passport does not meet this criteria, you will need to apply for one. KaliKosmos Travel recommends the use of CIBT for passport and visa processing (agency code 60010). Please contact CIBT with questions, especially when applying for a passport for minors.

If you are traveling out of the country with a minor, and one or both parents or legal guardians are not present, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. A notarized letter is recommended.

Yes, it may.

Some places, like Canada, deny foreigners entry if they have been charged or convicted of a serious crime such as a felony or a DWI/DUI . For more information on entry requirements review the information on www.travel.state.gov Or, contact the consulate for your destination.

Some places may also deny a visa to passengers with felony record. Please consult CIBT before applying payment for your trip if you have any legal record.

You should ensure that the name provided when booking your travel matches the government ID that you will use when traveling. However, due to difference in boarding pass systems, boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. Differences such as the middle name and first name listed together or missing hyphens/apostrophes should not cause a problem for the passenger.

Does the destination country require a visa?

No- If you’re traveling to a country that does not require a visa, you will not need to change the name on your passport. You will, however, need to have your reservation in the name that is listed on your passport, even if that’s not the name you go by now.

Yes- If you will need a visa to travel to your destination, it is safer to go ahead and apply for a new passport. If you have questions, please contact our recommended visa and passport processing company, CIBT.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms to prove citizenship. They are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a *WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D. with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

On May 7, 2025, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will officially begin enforcing the REAL ID Act of 2005 at airports. This will require all Americans to present REAL ID-compliant identification to go through security.

Are you Real ID ready?

Secure Flight is a program of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that streamlines the security watch list matching process.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires you to provide your full name, date of birth, and gender for the purpose of watch list screening, under the authority of 49 U.S.C. section 114, the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 and 49 C.F.R parts 1540 and 1560.

You may also provide your Redress Number, if available.

Failure to provide your full name, date of birth, and gender may result in denial of transport or denial of authority to enter the boarding area. TSA may share information you provide with law enforcement or intelligence agencies or others under its published system of records notice.

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Travelers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and in-person interview before enrollment.

While Global Entry’s goal is to speed travelers through the process, members may still be selected for further examination when entering the United States. Any violation of the program’s terms and conditions will result in the appropriate enforcement action and termination of the traveler’s membership privileges.

If you join Global Entry (or another expedited travel program) your membership number is known as a “known traveler number” and will grant you access to TSA Pre✓® for airline reservations .

Click here to begin the application process.

TSA PreCheck (branded as TSA Pre✓) is a Trusted Traveler program initiated in October 2011 and administered by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration that allows members expedited screening for domestic and select international itineraries. 

After completing the enrollment, you will receive a number that must be added to airline reservations in order to receive expedited screening. You will be notified that you have expedited screening if an indicator is printed on your boarding pass that may say “TSAPRECHK”, “TSA PRE”, or “TSA Pre✓®” depending on the airline and type of boarding pass.

Click here to apply.

This is a unique number the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) assigns to a passenger who has been previously identified for screening at the airports. For more information on the redress process, visit www.dhs.gov/trip.


Traveling Mindset: Our advice is to save a little extra room for a positive attitude. Being lighthearted and going with the flow when encountering the unexpected will keep little problems from ruining your travel experience.

Clothing Advice: KaliKosmos Travel recommends travelers

  • dress in layers because it is the easiest way to stay comfortable no matter what the conditions may be.
  • know the local weather. When you utilize our customized packing list you’ll know what to expect for the weather at your destination.
  • have comfortable closed-toe walking shoes, a small travel umbrella, a hat, sunscreen/bug spray, and a jacket/sweater.

Generally, we recommend dressing “Smart Casual” but please determine what you bring by the itinerary of your trip. Depending on your itinerary, you may also want to pack a couple of nicer outfits (and blazers for gentlemen).

Important Travel Items:

  • Carry your valuables and official travel documents with you at all times. This includes your currency, documentation, identification, glasses, cameras, and any medication that you may need.
  • Keep an extra copy of the first page of your passport(s) separate from your official travel documents.
  • Bring more than enough medicine than you anticipate needing and keep your medication in the original prescription-label bottle.

Finding the items you need for your experience has never been easier! When you utilize KaliKosmos Travel’s customized packing list you’ll have access to endless suggestions, the latest brands, boutique retailers, and curated options — all available in one convenient online shopping experience.

Luggage allowance varies by airline, tour company, cruise line, and destination. It is always best to check your specific requirements before packing for a trip.

However, standard international baggage allowance for air travel usually includes one piece of checked baggage, one carry-on bag, and one personal item. This could be a purse or tote bag, briefcase, or laptop computer.

For air travel, the standard measurement for checked baggage is 62 linear inches (L + W + H) with the weight not exceeding 50 pounds per piece. Carry-on bags should not exceed 45 linear inches (L+W+H) with the weight not exceeding 40 pounds. These measurements include the wheels. Airlines outside the United States may have stricter regulations for both checked baggage and carry-on baggage.

Please note that airlines have been strictly enforcing the 50 pound weight limit. If your bag exceeds 50 pounds, the airlines reserve the right to charge a fee for overweight luggage.

For cruise lines, a standard allowance usually includes two larger checked bag style suitcases per person. Please keep in mind that you will need to store your luggage in your cabin during the trip.

For tour companies, especially those that include transfers, one checked bag style suitcase and one personal item is a standard limit.

As always, specific restrictions listed on your documents or on the provider’s website are the standards you should follow.

You should always keep ticket receipts, tour documents, and identification with you at all times. Never pack necessary daily medication in checked baggage. Instead, pack it in your carry-on in the original prescription bottle. We also recommend that you carry toiletries and a change of clothing.

Most airlines have greatly reduced meal service so we encourage you to pack healthy snacks. When traveling internationally and between some states you are not allowed to take fresh fruit, vegetables, or flowers. Follow the TSA guidelines of the 3-1-1 rule: all liquid and gel items in your carry-on bag must be 3 ounces or less, placed together in a clear, one quart ziplock bag, with only 1 bag per person. Remember, in the world of TSA, peanut butter is a “liquid.”

You are not allowed weapons or sharp weapon-like objects in your carry on. It is also recommended that sharp cuticle scissors be placed in your checked luggage. Butane type cigarette lighters, matches, flammable liquids, fireworks, household items such as bleach, drain cleaners and other toxic chemicals are not allowed and will be confiscated. It is always best practice to check with applicable carrier for specific details.

Each passenger may carry liquids, gels, and aerosols in travel-size containers that are 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters. Each passenger is limited to one quart-size bag of liquids, gels, and aerosols. Common travel items that must comply with the 3-1-1 liquids rule include toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, and lotion.

Any liquid, aerosol, gel, cream, or paste that causes concern during screening will require additional screening.


The payment requirements are set by the package providers and the tour operators we use to make travel reservations. Deposit rates vary based on the package you select and the time you are traveling.  

Most vacation packages and cruises allow you to make a smaller deposit and then require the balance approximately 60 days prior to your arrival. Payment amounts and final payment dates are set by the suppliers and vary based on package inclusions.

Airfare must be paid in full, usually within 24 hours of when the space is held. Airfare pricing cannot be guaranteed until the tickets are issued.

For most payments, using more than one card is not an issue.

However, for some purchases, a split payment is not possible or will incur additional fees if done. These items include the purchase of upgraded seating on most airlines, an airline ticket for one passenger, and most prepaid hotels.

If you would like to use more than one payment for your trip, please discuss this with your advisor.

We strongly recommend using credit cards over debit cards for all transactions, due to the limitations and complications that can arise from debit card use with travel.

For instance, when checking in to a hotel, even one which is prepaid, you will need to present a valid ID and a credit card for incidentals.  Since the hotel will put a monetary hold on the card based on the duration of your stay, we recommend presenting a credit card. When using a debit card, it can take several weeks for the funds to be released back into your bank account.

Special Needs

KaliKosmos Travel advisors are certified as specialists with the Special Needs Group. We will do our best to accommodate any mobility modifications needed. Please advise your agent as early in the process as possible if anyone in your travel party, or anyone who may want to join your travel party, will have mobility accommodation needs.

KaliKosmos Travel will do everything possible to accommodaate your requests and needs. Please indicate on you reservation form your specific requests. The sooner we know that you have a special request, the better we can prepare and accommodate.

We understand that receiving help when traveling with special needs can be difficult. To help make travel smoother, KaliKosmos Travel recommends starting the travel experience prepared.

When flights are part of the reservation, utilizing the TSA Cares program can help make the security screening process less stressful. It’s also good to carry a “TSA Individuals with Disabilities and Medical Conditions” identification card which can non-verbally alert the TSA officer to the special needs a traveler may have. Please keep in mind that with both programs screening will still be required.

Registering for the IBCCES Accessibility Card allows travelers to communicate specific needs to attractions they’d like to visit. The Accessibility Card is most useful when paired with an IBCCES Certified Autism Center, and Advanced Certified Autism Center, or an Autism Certified City.

DISCLAIMER: This agency and its website do not dispense medical advice. The contents of this website are for informational purposes only. Please contact your health professional with specific questions regarding travel.

Generally, it’s not a problem to cruise during your first and second trimesters, if you’re experiencing a routine pregnancy and your doctor will write a letter permitting you to travel.

Be aware that ocean cruise lines have very strict rules that prevent women over 24 weeks pregnant from cruising.

If you’re considering river cruising, the restrictions are not as tight. Most river cruise lines will allow a pregnant woman to travel so long as her doctor has cleared her to do so.

If you need to fly to or from your cruise port, remember that airlines have their own restrictions and requirements in place for pregnant passengers. Most airlines allow domestic flights up to 36 weeks and international flights up to 28 weeks.

Travel Insurance

Travel Protection plans are available and recommended to help protect you and your trip investment. Travel insurance covers the unexpected that can occur. However, in order to have maximum coverage, insurance policies need to be in place no later than 14 days from the date the first payment was applied to the trip. Insurance can be increased later if additional travel expenses are added.

Some countries now require proof of travel insurance that covers medical expenses when traveling. Also, some tour companies, especially those for expedition travel, require travel insurance that covers evacuation. Please verify if travel insurance is required for your travel type and/or destination.

KaliKosmos Travel advisors, independently contracted with Leone Travel Corp d.b.a Travel Leaders (“The Agency”) strongly recommends that you purchase insurance for the protection of your health, your property (baggage), and your trip costs and cancellation fees. We also strongly recommend that you purchase a medical evacuation policy. 

We recommend purchasing Travelguard to protect your investment in travel.

For questions about Travelguard’s coverage, call them at: 800-826-5248

Travel Protection Policies vary by state and type of travel activities (such as adventure travel), and by the policy coverage selected. There are several insurance companies available, including those offered by the airline, cruise line, and tour company. At KaliKosmos Travel we offer insurance provided by Travelguard. Their policies usually cover Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Emergency Medical and Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation, Trip Delay, Baggage Delay and more.

Most policies have a specific clause stating they do not cover events such as pandemics, especially when travel warnings are in place. 

Please ask your advisor for details and pricing.

If you are considering the purchase of the supplier offered waiver, coverage through your credit card company, or relying on your home owners/renters insurance or medical insurance, please read the fine print carefully. Waiver, assistance, and insurance options listed below do not cover agency cancellation and change fees.

In most cases travel supplier offered “insurance” is actually a travel waiver not true travel insurance. This means the waiver allows for the travel package value already paid to be converted to credit for future travel. The waiver does not cover unexpected expenses that can arise when travel issues occur such as travel delays, trip cancellations or emergency medical coverage overseas. 

In most cases travel coverage offered by credit card companies is only the offering of their assistance to locate hospitals, new flights, emergency help, etc. The coverage does not, however, cover the costs associated with the medical bills, new flights, emergency help, etc. When card companies do offer true insurance, it is usually the rule that all expenses need to have been paid for on the card with the insurance coverage. And still, your credit card likely will not protect you in case of travel delays, trip cancellations or emergency medical coverage overseas. 

In most cases your every-day medical insurance will not cover you if you’re traveling out of the country or cruising on a ship registered in a foreign country. Even when traveling domestically (without a passport), some medical insurances will not cover you if you’re out of state and/or out of network.

When traveling, homeowners/renters insurance may cover some losses that could occur due to theft. The maximum payout depends on the policy and how the stolen items are covered within your policy. In most cases, however, homeowners/renters insurance does not cover travel delays, trip cancellations or emergency medical coverage overseas